Sunday, March 18, 2012

What a Bizarre Week its Been

Well, they don't seem to come much stranger than this. Can't go into all the details but, Wednesday's work day didn't materialize when I was unable to sleep after 1:30am and then, by the time work rolled around, I was feeling sick again, never mind that the dog had gotten us up at 3:30 puking up chunks of wood that he'd snuck in before coming to bed. That is a life threatening situation for him since he's had two surgeries on his intestinal track for eating foreign objects.
So, no work on Wednesday but did have to take the dog to the vet and have him spend the day having tests done. He's OK
Thursday was a must go to work day because of a big reading promotion event. Had to make it. Felt good, but did wake up with an irritated right eye that was oozing a small amount of liquid. The eye got worse as the day went on as did the left eye. By the time I left work, I looked like I'd just come off of a big binge. What to do? Go for a run, that's what. 4 somewhat easy miles felt pretty good.
Thursday going to bed hoping that the eyes will clear up overnight. Knowing that they won't.
Waking up at 2:30 with it hard to open my eyes, looking in the mirror to see a terrible mugshot.


Off to school at 3:45 in the morning to write sub plans and take care of things that had been put off all week. Came home at 5:15 in time to go back to bed.
Doctor's appointment at 10:15, visit to opthamologist after. Diagnosis of bacterial infection.
Several prescriptions but luckily they gave me a sample of the main one so I didn't need to be seen in public. Diane picked up the rest at 5:00. Nothing to do but put in eye drops every 2 hours and hope for the best. What to do? Run - easy 3 miles with some strides.
So, the big question:
Should I still go and run the 5 mile race on Saturday that I've already registered for and paid my $20?
I was determined not to let this thing distract from my training but I didn't know if, after being sick for 3 days, I should be doing this or not. Especially because the weather forecast was not that spectacular.
Got up Saturday to light rain, ate a piece of toast with peanut butter and half a banana. Standard eating fare at least an hour before running and headed downtown. My plan was to get there early, pick up my stuff while no one was around, go hang out in the car where no one could see me and run up at the beginning of the race.
One of those days - I couldn't find my keys, I couldn't find........
End result - I got there a half hour before the race just like everyone else. I was wearing a hat, so that helped hide me a bit. But I had to stand in a line for 20 minutes under the Market Depot coverage with a ton of other people. Head down staring at lots of people's shoes not wanting to be recognized. Weird feeling for sure.
Got my bib and chip - time now 9:50. Big line of people behind me still. Off to car. Weather now turns to heavy rain, snow, and then chunky rain. I'm thinking, "I'm crazy and I'm going to end up getting sick again." I actually closed the car door and was ready to head home. Then the rain lightened up just long enough to get me a couple of blocks into a warmup run and then in it started up heavy again. I was committed by then.
The race didn't start until about 10:20. The people that I saw, I was able to say hi and avert my eyes so it all worked out.
The good news was that the race actually went very well. I was hoping to hold 7 minute miles on a deceptively hard course but wasn't sure I could do it, especially after being in bed for three days this week.
End result - 7:05 pace and it felt quite good. A real confidence booster indeed. No need for after race food and socializing for me. A mile cooldown run to the car and then home.
Sunday's run was scheduled for 17 fairly easy miles. It was actually a very good run, a little hard in parts but pretty good overall. At about mile 10 I remember thinking that it felt like I was getting stronger as I went then I thought, "It's the caffeine in the Perpetuum drink, you dummy." Oh well, whatever. I felt like I finished strong.
Only two more long runs left. Next Sunday is the last 20 miler and then the following week, I'll do a 10k on Saturday and then 16 on Sunday, 12 the following Sunday and then it's off to Boston.
Good news is that my eyes are getting much better and by tomorrow I expect I'll look halfway normal.
What an interesting week this was, and there's other stuff that happened too.
Nice to put the week to bed.
We'll see what week 15 brings.
All's well that ends well, but

No comments:

Post a Comment