Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hay is in the Barn

There were times it wasn't easy, but I always knew I would make it. Today's 20 mile run is the culmination of a hell of a lot of training over the past 15 weeks. Now it's on to the taper. After running near to, at, or over 50 miles a week for the past 8 weeks, now it's time to cut back. Next week will be 43 miles, the week after 32, and then 22. Or it might be less. The key to tapering is that, "less is more." I won't be afraid to take off an extra day if I feel like I need it. The work is done, now it's time for these nagging little muscle aches and pains to heal up and to get ready for the big day, which is three weeks away from tomorrow.
Today's 20 mile run was a grand affair, feeling good, holding my pace and running on a day made to order. This is the kind of day when nothing on earth would make you want to live anywhere else.
Mt. Baker and the Twin Sisters were out, the entire Olympic Range was out in full force, and the bay was absolutely beautiful.
Our college basketball team are national champions of Division 2, the sun is shining, the hay is in the barn, and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment