Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Savoring the taper runs

I've started the taper - it's just what it sounds like, the runs get shorter, the mileage is less, there are more rest days. The hard work is done and now it's time to heal up, maintain the fitness, and mentally prepare.
One thing I've found in the past while tapering is that the runs get so much sweeter. After racking up the mileage for the past 4 months, running 12 mile runs here, 14 milers there, now it comes down to only having 11 more runs before the big day. Only 11 more times to run. As the nerves start to ramp up, running is the best way to calm them down.
I was pleasantly surprised last night to find my legs feeling fresh after a 35 mile weekend. I ran 8 miles which included 5 X 600 meter repeats at 5k pace. Tonight was 6 miles at a recovery run pace. That means very slow and easy.
Tomorrow is a day off, Friday is a 4 mile recovery run with some 100 meter strides thrown in and then my last tune up race. This will be a 10k race in Federal Way which I picked since I'll be in Seattle Friday night visiting friends.
One last semi-long run remains - that will be on Sunday at 16 miles. After that the runs get short and sweet, oh so sweet.
My fundraising took a drastic turn for the better tonight when my aunt sent a check for $1,000.
That takes my total from $6,000 to $7,000 in one fell swoop. Wow!
Also, apparently the local paper, the Bellingham Herald, is going to run a profile on me. Or at least that's what the phone message was from the staff photographer looking for photos of me running.
Things are coming together in a big way and April 16th will be here before we know it.
I'll keep savoring every run while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment