Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Honeywagon of a run

Well, the Honeywagon Half-Marathon is in the books. This year they could have called it the Wind Tunnel Half-Marathon. It was really windy out there on those county roads and was a very tough run. I never really got anybody to draft off of except once. Reason being, when I would catch someone, then I'd pass them. I managed to pass quite a few people in the middle of the race. The last two miles were straight into the teeth of the wind which had been building all morning. I thought I had someone to work with for drafting, but he waved me on and told me, "it's all yours now buddy."
I'm not sure if that wind was blowing 20mph, 30mph or what, but what I do know is that it felt like 100mph. Straight into it, nowhere to hide. I swear I don't think I could have bent any farther forward if I tried. My pace up to the 11 mile mark was right where I wanted it to be (7:33) but with the wind, it was a matter of survival.
All in all, it was a good preparation race, as it was meant to be. It was really hard to keep pushing it and my mind had to will my body to keep it up. Similar to the later stages of a marathon. I know I sure was glad to see the finish line. That was tough.
So tomorrow will be an easy run of somewhere between 10 and 13 miles and then I can call week 12 complete. If my math adds up, 12 weeks out of 18 weeks equals 2/3 of the way done. My-O-My-O-My

No comments:

Post a Comment