Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week 8 - run, run, run

Seems like all I'm doing these days is working and running. This was equal to my longest week of the program, well short by only one mile.  54 miles is one hardy week and there will be 6 more weeks equal to or above 50 miles before the taper. But the running is going well and is fun. Tuesday I ran a 7 mile easy run and then threw in 6 hill sprints up the bottom of Alabama Hill.  The sprints are about 60 yards but are hard. Walking down between two sprints, I walked with the man who just pulled into his house and was going to check his mail.  He said, "well, you didn't get very far."  I said something like, "yeah but I get to do it again and again.  You're welcome to join me on the next one."  That got a good laugh.
With the great weather this week has brought, and with the days getting longer, especially on the evening end, there's been no need to get up at 5am to get a run in.  Might as well wait and enjoy the daylight and the sunshine.
Wednesday night was 12 miles and that was another spectacular sunset.  Looking back from the harbor on Mt. Baker and the Twin Sisters at one point found them glowing golden.  MMMM - MMMM.  Next week's Wednesday run will be 14 miles which seems a little ridiculous for a mid week run, but, if it goes anything like this one, will be just dandy.
Friday's Lactate Threshold run was a tough one and I didn't hold the pace I was hoping for over the last several miles.  Really, the first run of the training, except the first week, when I was coming off of the Cross Country Nationals, that didn't go as expected.
Saturday was a nice easy 5 miler first thing in the morning before doing a lot of yard work in the afternoon and Sunday's capping run was officially 20 miles.  20 miles will be my longest run of the training and there are 2 more to go.
Good fortune for me.  Having worked hard in the yard all day, I didn't check my email until 9:00 or so and there was an email from good friend, Mike Finger, asking if I wanted company on Sunday.  He didn't have to ask twice.
We had a wonderful 20 mile run circumnavigating Bellingham and got some great chatting in along the way.  It's so much nicer having someone to run with.  I do have to admit that I've enjoyed the podcasts which have kept me company on the long solo runs but there's no comparison.  AT  ALL.
Thank you Mike.
Off to Jim's for the Superbowl in the afternoon and into bed for peaceful and well deserved slumber.
A very successful and very fun week 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment