Wednesday, February 8, 2012

14 miles on a Wednesday - Really?

Boston training is going well.  I have to admit that today's run has stood out for me in my training program. Mentally it's had a big star marking it's importance. It's been on the radar for some time. A 14 mile run on a Wednesday - Really?.  This training program by Pete Pfitzinger is so much different from what I'm used to with the Hal Higdon plans.
I've been running 10 miles mid-week, and 11 miles and 12 miles.  Why does 14 seem like so many more?
Well, it's also true that I ran 20 miles only 3 days ago too.
OK, 14 miles.  Well, there was no question whether it would be a morning or afternoon run.  In order to get that many miles in before work, I'd need to be running by 4:30.  As it was I started running at 4:05 pm and created a route which took me around the neighborhood, down to the Whatcom Creek Trail and into town.  I reconnected with Whatcom Creek at Maritime Heritage Center and then headed over to the harbor. I ran both loops: the Bellwether Loop, and the Zuwanich Park Loop  (actually I ran that one twice, trying to build up miles, before heading up Squalicum Parkway, through Cornwall Park and back on Illinois Street.
This was one fantastic run, running the last half at a 9 minute pace felt really really good. Especially for coming up the hills I did.
These long miles have built up some strong legs I'm thinking.
Tomorrow is a 6 mile recovery run which might have to come early morning since I have a dentist appointment after work.
Friday - rest day.
Saturday is another 6 mile recovery run along with 6 strides and then Sunday is a 16 miler with 12 miles at marathon race pace.  8:20
This will leave me with 48 miles and next week is a "recovery week."  Gotta love those recovery weeks.  Even if they are 43 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job John! I remember those mid-week medium long runs. At lesat you have a bit of daylight left if you're starting at 4! For the 14 miler Lora and I were running in the dark and freezing rain.

    Sounds like you're training is going well. You're going to do great.

    ReplyDelete