Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Recovery Week - running on the beach

Week 10 is a recovery week.
Monday - Rest
Tuesday General Aerobic 8 miles
Wednesday 8 miles with 5 X 800 meters at 5k pace  (my first track workout in this plan)
Thursday Recovery 5 miles
Friday Rest
Saturday 8 miles with 8 x 100 meter strides
Sunday 14 miles

Check, check, and check.
Since we were in Los Angeles from Thursday to Monday, I ran early on Thursday morning and switched the Saturday and Sunday runs. On Saturday I ran on the paved trail from Venice Beach past Santa Monica and up to Will Rogers State Beach and then back.  That was OK, but the trail was pretty crowded with runners, walkers, bikers, and roller bladers.  Sunday was much better running on the beach itself.  Both days I also ran through the canals of Venice.  That was a real treat, especially with the two pelicans who eyed me warily with those prehistoric looking faces as I passed their home in a side canal. It's a pretty amazing concept to be: a) running in the warm sun and b) to be running on the sandy beach.  It was a very nice change and a nice recovery week. The next 5 weeks up until the taper will be challenging starting with next week which is a 55 mile week with 20 on Sunday. We'll see how up to the challenge I am, but feeling strong and ready to tackle it as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment