Friday, April 6, 2012

What? Only 5 miles? Slow pace? What?

I tell you what, not being able to run, run, run, is not easy after so much training.  I went to Harrison Hot Springs yesterday in Canada and soaked for over 3 and a half hours.  Soak, sleep, soak, read, sleep, soak, rest, soak......  I was there for 6 and a half hours and left feeling like a noodle.
I was looking forward to an 8 mile run today only to discover that it was actually only supposed to be 5 miles at a recovery pace with 6 100 meter strides thrown in.
To change things up a bit, I decided to head to Lake Padden for a couple of laps.  What a joy it was to run there with the sun shining and the trails not too crowded at all.  At one point on the wooded side of the lake, after looking ahead and behind to make sure no one was watching, I was overcome with joy.
It was so much fun to be running on such a beautiful day in such a gorgeous place.  U2 was playing "It's a Beautiful Day" on the Ipod and I started waving my arms around and celebrating the day, the process, and the good things that lie ahead in the next 10 days.
No running tomorrow, but it's the first day of rowing and I'm planning on getting out on the water.
Sunday will be 12 miles at long run pace and then not much after.
Some runners will tell you that the taper is the hardest part of the training. Mysterious ailments pop up when you cut back on your running and they can really start to play with your head.  That's why it's so nice to able to savor the runs when they do occur.
So, it was only 5 miles, but they were great ones and I think I'll be ok for another day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment