Thursday, January 19, 2012

A snowy week 6 indeed

Well, they weren't kidding here.  Monday was a 5 mile easy run with about an inch of snow so no big deal.
Tuesday's 8 mile run with 10 X 100 meter strides was a different story. There was 4 inches at my house but closer to a foot of snow around Lake Whatcom. My run took me through Bloedel- Donovan Park and into Whatcom Falls.  It was an absolutely beautiful run and quite tricky trying to run strides in that much snow, but I got it done.
Wednesday was an even different story yet because the arctic chill did arrive. When I left the front door for an easy 5 mile run at 10:30 am it was a balmy 14 degrees with a cold wind blowing out of the North East.
Time for the Yak Trax.  

For those of you who don't know, Yak Trax are like chains for your shoes.  I was happy because I knew that there was a brand new pair left over from last year AND I knew where they were.  My happiness switched to alarm as I managed to cut through one of the Yak Trax as I cut open the package.  
We all do bone-headed things and this was my turn. Fortunately, I looked and found 1 Yak Track left over from last year.  It was a different model but managed to work fine.

Running on the trail is hard in this snow.  Even though it's packed down it's kind of like running on the beach and my legs definitely feel it.  The Yak Trax make it easy enough to run even on sheet ice, which is what most of the side streets have turned into so that's where I've been running when I can.
Today (Thursday) was another cold day.  It was 17 degrees when I left for my 8 mile run this time heading down Squalicum Parkway past the harbor and then back home through the lettered streets neighborhood. 
It's kind of fun running past people all bundled up (I mean really bundled up) and feeling very comfortable with tights, 2 shirts, gloves, and a wool hat. The shoe chains are really amazing allowing you to just run on anything. Tomorrow is a rest day and the long run this weekend will only be 12 miles. Depending on conditions (when will all this snow melt?) I may end up at the Y running on the treadmill.  Hope not.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment