Saturday, December 17, 2011

The first week's under my belt

Well, the first week is in the books, kind of.
My tempo run on Monday was hard.  My legs had not recovered from the weekend's XC race. (I was afraid that they wouldn't have.)  I ran the 8 miles and did the 4 mile lactate-threshold.  I was able to hit the heart rate level, but my pace was quite a bit off.  No biggy though.  It was a challenging run and it's nice to be rolling along.  Heading out the driveway at 7:00 am with a big moon, 26 frosty degrees and Steely Dan's Aja playing on the shuffle, Boston training is underway.
My schedule this week is pretty modified due to leaving on Saturday for Kansas City and the next 2 weeks will have to be modified as well due to driving my parents to Arizona and then leaving for Denver the day after Christmas.  But it will all come out in the wash.
Wednesday's run was pretty unusual.  I didn't sleep well at all that night and when Diane's alarm went of at 4:45 I was already awake, so at 5:10 in the morning I left with my headlight on and ran 9 miles through Whatcom Falls Park and surrounding areas.  Running on the beach at Bloedel I scared up a lot of Canadian Geese.  They were definitely not ready for a lunatic running by at that early hour in the dark.
Friday, school got out at 1:15 and I was off to the Interurban Trail for 12 miles as my "long run." Slow down to Larrabee State Park and then I managed to pick it up on the way back.  One of those runs where you start not really feeling into it and then, by the time you're done, it seems like the best run you've ever had.  How many of those have we all had?
Now it's on Southwest flight 1732 to KC and leaving for Arizona in the morning.  But the biggest news of the year is that my dad was told yesterday that, as of now, he is Cancer free.   Now that's something worth celebrating indeed.
Fundraising is going well and I'm inching towards that $3,000 level with money coming in just about every day for the last week or so.
I'm curious where and when my next run will be.
Stay tuned.

update

Well, as it turned out, it didn't take long to get the next run in and it actually completed the Week 1 runs.  I had figured that I would need to skip my "recovery run of 4 miles" which wouldn't have mattered too much.  However our drive from Kansas City to Arizona took a twist when I noticed that there was a blizzard warning for Monday in Southwest Kansas, Northwest Texas, and North East New Mexico.  All areas we were schedueld to drive through on Monday. YIKES!  I was able to talk my parents into leaving on Saturday night and I drove to Wichita, Kansas where we arrived at 12:30 am.  5 and a half hours of sleep later, I was up at 6 am and ready to run in the dark.  Fortunately there was a shopping mall across the street from the hotel and so 2 and a half laps later, I had my 4 miles in.  33 miles in the first week tucked away nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment